Thursday, January 20, 2011

California Dreamin'

With this week's ice storm, the impending snow showers of tomorrow and the postponement of my Miami trip to next month, I think The Mamas & the Papas got it right!  On such a winter's day, I'm recalling a trip down the Pacific Coast Highway that Jason and I took last January.  We started in Merced, CA and picked up Route 1 just outside of Monterey.  I'd always heard the drive was amazing, but it exceeded that by miles, literally!  The sights were beautiful and the climate was surreal.  The highlights for me were Big Sur, Nepenthe - a rustic restaurant with an incredible view, and the Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Rookery.  We got off around San Luis Obispo, finishing a good portion of the famous route in under a day, and ending with a terrific sunset as we headed to San Diego for a conference.  I can honestly say it was the greatest road trip of my life thus far, no soundtrack needed - just the background of the waves crashing and the pavement racing.  Here's a little slideshow of some of my favorite pictures on the drive.  Hope it helps to cure those wintery blues!

No comments:

Post a Comment