Sunday, April 17, 2011

Dress Quest 2011

I've been on a bit of a traveling hiatus since the move to our new home, but two weekends ago I finally got back at it!  Over the past few years, I've tried to make an annual trip to NYC for one reason or another.  Mostly it's to see my bestie, Katie, who achieved our childhood dream and now resides in the Village.  And when Jason and I made the trip to Rockefeller in 2009 to see the tree, I thought I had reached the height of my affection for the Big Apple.  But this last trip definitely was the icing on the, should we say wedding, cake.

On a Saturday that predicted gloomy rain but turned out to be clear and sunny, mom (who traveled the tracks in from SC - go girl!), the other two besties and I took the train up to the city.  The goal was to find a dress and the means were two very opposite locales...


Kleinfeld Bridal, otherwise known as the place where they film TLC's Say Yes to the Dress (everyone's but mine favorite wedding show), was the ultimate New York experience.  Very fast, very bold, very much - very not me.  But we went for the fun of it and I'm glad we did - it set me up for an amazing time at J.Crew.

After jumping back in our Escalade with our driver for the day, courtesy of the best fiance ever, we headed over to the boutique but arrived an hour early.  Just enough time for some prosecco across the street at Bar Italia - Euro-perfect in every way.  Nice and bubbly-feeling from our late afternoon snack, we entered the mothership, J.Crew Bridal.  It was everything I'd hoped - warm, cozy and our favorite fashions at their finest.  Surrounded by the absolute lady loves of my life, I had the moment every girl imagines - hold your breath, this is the one, the dress he'll see me in as I walk down the aisle.  To say it was magical is an understatement.

We closed out the too-quick trip at a fabulous spot in Katie's neighborhood, Low Country, which had delicious southern food, hard core bourbon drinks and the most fitting atmosphere for the occasion.  I couldn't ask for a better way to kick off my travels in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment